Monday, October 11, 2010

What is "La Vie Creole"?

It literally means "The Creole life."  I am a Creole girl living in New Orleans, so what better way to describe my life here in the Crescent City?  What does Creole mean?  Whew, you'll get all kinds of answers and a whole lot of confusion!  It seems everyone has his/her own personal definition.  For me, to be Creole is to be a descendent of the first French, Spanish, and African American settlers who came to Louisiana in the 1700's.  One of my ancestors stepped off the boat in 1718, the year New Orleans was founded, a fact of which I am very proud.  However, as more and more young professionals arrive in New Orleans, I think it's okay to be an adopted Creole.  I love the influx of people who appreciate our city and are adding new energy and excitement!

What does it mean to live "la vie Creole"?  To eat, drink, and be merry, to be sure!  Of course, life in post-Katrina New Orleans offers a decent amount of struggles.  But it just brings us closer together.

Why is it "La Vie Creole" and not just "The Creole Life"?  Well, one of the most significant aspects of being Creole was speaking French.  My grandmother spoke French until she started first grade.  I love all things French!
The New Orleans flag with the fleur de lis, a symbol of the French Bourbon aristocrats.

No comments:

Post a Comment