Friday, June 3, 2011

Reading To-Do List

I have a BA in English literature.  Before I acquired that, I had an unofficial degree in voracious reading.  I was the child with the flashlight and a novel under the sheets.  Or kneeling on the ground, book open, close up to the night light.  Most of my life has been dedicated to American literature.  Now I have fallen in love with the British.  I love British literature and have certain life goals when it comes to my reading.  I want to read the greats of British literature, the classics, the masterpieces!  Here is how far I have come and how far I have yet to go.  Don't you think it's pretty ambitious?  Thank goodness I have the rest of my life to accomplish this feat.

CHARLES DICKENS   

A Christmas Carol  ---  read it


A Tale of Two Cities  ---  read it


Barnaby Rudge


Bleak House  ---  read it


David Copperfield  ---  read it


Dombey and Sons


Great Expectations  ---  read it


Hard Times  ---  read it


Little Dorrit


Martin Chuzzlewit


Nicholas Nickleby


Oliver Twist  ---  read it


Our Mutual Friend


The Old Curiosity Shop


Pictures from Italy


American Notes


The Uncommon Traveller


Sketches by Boz


A Child's History of England


The Mystery of Edwin Drood


Christmas Stories

JANE AUSTEN


Northanger Abbey


Pride and Prejudice  --- read it


Sense and Sensibility  --- read it


Mansfield Park  ---  half way read it, must re-read in full


Emma  --- read it


Persuasion  ---  read it


CHARLOTTE BRONTE


Jane Eyre  ---  read it


Shirley


Villette


The Professor


ANNE BRONTE


Agnes Grey  ---  read it


The Tenant of Wildfell Hall  ---read it


EMILY BRONTE


Wuthering Heights ---  read it


ELIZABETH GASKELL


Mary Barton


Cranford  --- read it


Ruth


North and South


My Lady Ludlow  --- read it


Sylvia's Lovers


Wives and Daughters


GEORGE ELIOT


Middlemarch


Daniel Deronda


Adam Bede


The Mill on the Floss


Silas Marner --- read it


THOMAS HARDY


Far From the Madding Crowd


The Return of the Native  ---  read it


The Mayor of Casterbridge


Tess of the d'Urbervilles


Jude the Obscure


MARY SHELLEY


Frankenstein


KAZUO ISHIGURO


The Remains of the Day


E. M. FORSTER


Howards End


A Passage to India


A Room with a View


WILLIAM MAKEPEACE THACKERAY


Vanity Fair


STELLA GIBBONS


Cold Comfort Farm


ANTHONY TROLLOPE


Barchester Towers


The Way We Live Now



No comments:

Post a Comment