Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 4: Hail Mary

During my struggle with my singleness, I spent a great deal of time reading books and articles on dating.  I bought books that promised to help you find "the one," books that advised you on the rules of first dates, books that promised to unveil the inner workings of the male psyche.  Then one day I woke up and realized the one person to whom I should turn for advice.  The person who should have been the most obvious confidante and consoler from the beginning.  Mary, the greatest wife and mother.



I began talking to Mary about my hopes and dreams and fears.  I know she heard me because my attitude toward my solitary state began to change.  Remembering that she was my mother, I felt much less alone.  Recalling the daunting nature of the task the angel put before her, I knew she could understand my fears.  Focusing on her relationship with Joseph and the anticipation she must have had before Jesus' birth, I knew she recognized the hope I carried in my heart.

In my journey to become a wife and mother, what better person to intercede on my behalf than Mary, wife of Joseph and mother of Jesus?

While on a three day silent retreat, I talked to Mary at great length every day.  I prayed the rosary, said the Angelus, and sometimes just conversed with her the way I would a dear friend.  Every morning, I would walk the path to see her, bring her a camellia, and visit with her.  And each evening, as twilight fell and the stars just started to peek through the velvet veil of sky, I would sit before her, find comfort in her presence, and return to my bed with the peace that came from her love and understanding.



Nothing and no one in all the time that I was single brought me more love, comfort, and peace than Mary.  And I am certain that as I make my way through life as a wife and, if so blessed, as a mother, Mary will always be beside me, will always know my heart.




The Angelus

The Angel of the Lord declared to Mary:
And she conceived of the Holy Spirit. 
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of
our death. Amen. 
Behold the handmaid of the Lord: Be it done unto me according to Thy word. 
Hail Mary . . . 
And the Word was made Flesh: And dwelt among us. 
Hail Mary . . . 

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray: 
Pour forth, we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts; that we, to whom the incarnation of Christ, Thy Son, was made known by the message of an angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His Resurrection, through the same Christ Our Lord.
Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment